Nuclear Medicine is a revolutionary new imaging modality, which is concerned with the FUNCTIONAL EVALUATION of the various organ systems of the body. In short, this modality not only helps you see more clearly but enables the visualization of totally new type of information; that of dynamic physiology like capillary level perfusion, receptor status, bile formation, glomerular filtration etc.
However, to take it one step further, we have introduced for the first time in Thrissur a method of SIMULTANEOUS ANATOMIC and FUNCTIONAL evaluation of an organ system, whereby the merits of Nuclear Medicine namely, molecular level information of any organ system, with minimal radiation dose and maximum ease is coupled with accurate anatomic correlation of a fusion CT scan. Thus we can detect molecular or cellular level changes (much before clinical, radiological or biochemical abnormalities) and localize it with high end anatomic information of a CT scan.
The procedures are really simple, OPD based, with minimal patient preparation and hardly any contraindications, whereby the appropriate radio-pharmaceuticals are injected intravenously and the emitted gamma rays (similar to X-rays) are detected by means of a dual headed gamma camera.
MERITS OF NUCLEAR MEDICINE
- Very safe and simple to perform
- Done as outpatient procedures with reports available on the same day
- Tomographic evaluation of the organ system in question is possible (similar to CT and MRI)
- Much less relative radiation dose compared to routine radiological applications such as MCU, IVP etc.
- Follow up studies can be done even in neonatal and pediatric age group
- Total functional information and reasonable amount of anatomic details possible
- Complementary role to other imaging modalities
- No adverse reactions or side effects to the administered radio-pharmaceuticals
- Quantification of the functional parameters possible
- Whole body evaluation in a single sitting
- Highly sensitive and molecular level information, enabling diagnosis before radiological, biochemical and clinical alterations
- Pregnancy and lactation are the only contraindications
- Available to analyze almost all the organ systems of the body
- No contrast injected
- Diagnosis of CAD and inducible ischemia / myocardial flow heterogeneity-extent, severity with physical / pharmacological stress (more sensitive than Treadmill testing)
- Even in patients with baseline ECG abnormalities, LBBB, LVH, obese and female patients and patients unfit for physical exercise
- Prognosis of CAD
- Myocardial infarction - extent severity, peri-infarct ischemia evaluation and risk stratification
- Myocardial viability determination - pre revascularization and in dysfunctional myocardial segments
- Evaluation post revascularization
- Ejection fraction and regional wall motion abnormalities (more accurate and reproducible / non operator dependant compared to ECHO)
- Evaluation of Myocardial perfusion status and functional parameters evaluation in a single study - GATED SPECT STUDY